1. Work Placements
We have occasional and limited opportunities for work experience placements within our organisation. We will endeavour to tailor these placements to meet the individual interests of the student to enable them to get the most out of the experience. This means that availability of placement opportunities will always depend on our current programme.
2. Press and Marketing Officer (15hrs/wk)
Provide a marketing function across the range of activity undertaken by Horse + Bamboo and at The Boo. To support increasing programme delivered at The Boo, to drive box office income and to increase the profile of The Boo across the North-West.
- Write, implement and evaluate the marketing plans and co-ordinate marketing activity for events and activities managed by Horse and Bamboo.
- Implement and evaluate the Audience Development plan in liaison with the Executive Director.
- Ensure collection of partnership data for reporting to Audience Finder, Big Imaginations etc.
- Write and issue promotional copy and press releases for events and activity
- Build relationships with local, national and regional press and arrange interviews for press features.
- Create and issue direct mail, e-newsletter, email campaigns regular print including brochure and appropriate flyers and posters.
- Maintain and develop content for Social Media and update website pages as appropriate
- Develop and maintain mailing lists and databases for distribution of print and electonric campaigns
- Liaise with Family Engagement Artist and other relevant Lead Artists to ensure maximum marketing value from projects, community groups and events.
- Liaise with partners and organisations to build distributors & affiliates
Line Management The post holder is line managed by the Executive Director.
Hours of work 15 hours per week excluding breaks. This role is flexible in terms of days and time of day worked to suit the right candidate.
Salary £9 per hour, £7,020 actual, £17,550 pro rata
Interviews 18th April 2017 at Horse + Bamboo Theatre, BB4 7HB
PLEASE COMPLETE APPLICATION FORM – DOWNLOAD FROM BELOW AND EMAIL OR POST TO ESTHER FERRY-KENNINGTON, THE BOO, WATERFOOT, ROSSENDALE BB4 7HB firstname.lastname@example.org:
3. Theatre for One* Artist Development Residency
This summer we are offering an exciting opportunity to 5 artists to take part in a unique training residency here at The Boo.
World class puppet and mask specialist Horse + Bamboo Theatre are partnering up with the internationally acclaimed Lempen Puppet Theatre and one of the UK’s leading festival consortiums Without Walls to run an intense 3 week theatre for one residency.
During the residency participants will develop a short, theatre for one* performance which will be showcased at our annual Puppet Festival on Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th of July 2017.
Over the initial 2 day introduction period participants will have a chance to watch Lempen Puppet Theatre in action, discuss the concept of theatre for one and experiment with various techniques and elements such as music, shadows, puppets in Horse + Bamboo’s large workshop space.
During the rest of the residency, each artist will have access to our workshops, rehearsal space, some tech support and advice from experienced trainers. Artists will retain ownership of the work they create. We can provide basic materials, but specialist equipment or materials may have to be paid for by the artist.
This residency will be particularly suited to artists interested in both performing and making.
Our training has been hugely successful over the last few years and many of the artists we’ve worked with have gone on to develop ideas further, perform their work at leading festivals throughout the UK and work alongside other visual arts organisations as performers and makers.
We’re looking for artists who are particularly interested in small scale theatre and who have some background and a desire to develop their skills further in both performing and making.
Tues 18th April: Closing date for applications
24th Apr: notification of participating artists
26th Jun – 14th July (Monday to Friday)
15th-16th July – Puppet Festival performances
Participants will need to be able to attend the whole residency and be able to perform on at least one of the Puppet Festival days.
To apply please send a CV to Esther Ferry-Kennington email@example.com.
* A theatre for one is a short, small-scale performance using one performer and performed to one audience member at a time. It should be visually exciting to both the audience member encountering the performance, and intriguing to passers-by who are watching the performance from the outside. It should only last around 2-3 minutes to ensure around 20 people can view it per hour. A theatre for one aims to surprise; to give people a unique experience of puppetry at close quarters.